An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The NIU Department of Police and Public Safety wants you to know that if you need to report an emergency, call 911 immediately.
Here are some important things to know in case of a 911 emergency:
- If you see a crime is in progress, call 911 immediately.
- If you are the victim of the crime, call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If you are on campus, there are several emergency call boxes that will immediately connect you with police telecommunicators who dispatch police and first responders.
- If you see a police officer and need help, feel free to approach the officer to request assistance. In the event of an on-going incident, the police must stop the threat; so they might only speak with you very briefly before moving to address the threat.
- During an emergency that affects an entire area, it is important that you do not overload the 911 system with non-emergency calls.
When you call 911:
- Please note: Cellular 911 calls may not always be routed to the NIU Police due to cellular tower 911 configurations.
- Stay on the line with the dispatcher.
- Provide the address of the building involved and your exact location. This is especially critical if you are calling from a cell phone.
- Provide a thorough description of the incident and individuals involved such as clothing, height, weight and direction of travel to ensure proper resources are dispatched.
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher tells you to do so.
Important Phone Numbers
|University Police Non-Emergency Number||815-753-1212|
|Counseling and Student Development||815-753-1206|
|Employee Assistance Program||815-753-9191|
|Human Resource Services||815-753-6000|
|Huskie Student Patrol||815-753-9658|
|Work Request Desk for utility outages||815-753-1741|
- Emergency Information
- Report an Emergency
- Emergency Versus Non-Emergency
- Emergency Call Boxes
- NIU Emergency Response Guide
- NIU Safety Bulletins
- Register for Alerts
- Update Your Emergency Contact Information
- NIU Weather Information
- Illinois Road Conditions
- Illinois Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Department of Homeland Security
August 07, 2018
UPDATE – RE: 8/7/18 Shots Fired - Off Campus
August 04, 2018
UPDATE - 700 block of Regent Drive – Attempted Armed Robbery - Off Campus
August 03, 2018
UPDATE 8/7/18 - ARRESTS MADE, 1100 block of Regent Drive - Robbery - Off Campus