Gain a Competitive Edge With EngagePLUS
Engaged learning experiences are a valuable, exciting part of your NIU education. They allow you to gain hands-on experience in your field of study and see if your future career will be a good fit. EngagePLUS provides a way for you to achieve recognition for these experiences by earning transcript notations. These notations will make you stand out to employers and graduate schools.
You can earn EngagePLUS transcript notations for extensive, immersive learning experiences in six different categories. In order to qualify for an EngagePLUS transcript notation, your experience must meet certain criteria. There are specific criteria for each category.
Professional Development Notations
You can also earn a professional development transcript notation. Professional development experiences generally require fewer hours of engagement than those needed for EngagePLUS notations. Your experience must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for a professional development notation.
Human Diversity Requirement
If you began attending NIU in the fall of 2017 or after, you can apply to use an experience to fulfill NIU’s human diversity requirement. In order to meet the requirement, your experience must meet certain criteria.
- Artistry experiences allow you to focus on art as a process or product. You'll create an artistic work and/or develop your artistic techniques or teaching skills.
- You can earn a career related work experience transcript notation and gain professional skills by completing an internship approved by Career Services.
- An experiential learning experience consists of hands-on learning activities, such as field work or clinical work, that help you prepare for your chosen profession.
- Leadership experiences help you learn how to become an effective leader. You'll focus on high-level decision-making and involve others to create a shared vision and articulate shared goals.
- A service-learning experience will deepen your knowledge of a community and help you identify its needs.
- Undergraduate research experiences allow you to advance your knowledge of the project's subject matter as well as best practices in academic research.