Undergraduate Student Engagement Travel Grant
The Undergraduate Student Engagement Travel Grant (USET) provides up to $500 to individual NIU undergraduate students to defray the cost of travel to attend or present at a professional conference, NIU study abroad programs, participation in a service-based experience that includes travel (such as an alternative break) or other student engagement projects.
- All full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply.
- Student must be able to articulate a strong defense as to how the grant and requested travel experience will contribute to their academic and career success at NIU through their application and proposal.
- Eligible expenses include program costs, registration fees, transportation, food and lodging associated with the travel experience, etc.
- The travel must occur while the student is still enrolled at NIU.
- The travel must not have already occurred before the application and all required materials are due. Students cannot be reimbursed for experiences that have already taken place.
- This is an individual award - no groups may apply.*
- Students may only receive one travel award per academic year.
- Students must have at least a 2.75 GPA to be considered.
- Funds are dispersed until depleted, beginning with the new fiscal year (July 1- June 1)
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis around the 15th of each month, with notification of results by the end of that month
- All funds must be awarded by June 1 of each year—if your experience takes place over the summer, please be sure to apply early
*Please note that if you are seeking funds on behalf of a Student Association recognized organization, the Student Association can potentially assist with reimbursement through executive allocations. The application to apply for executive allocation funding is available through Huskie Link.
- Undergraduate Student Engagement Travel Grant
- Engagement Conferences
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.