- About Us
- Involvement & Services
- Programs & Events
- Awards & Scholarships
- Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- LGBT A-Z
- Contact Us
- LGBT Resource Center Home
LGBT Essay Contest
Friday, October 4,2014 at 4.30pm.
The contest is held each year as part of the activities for LGBT Awareness Month in April. The author of the winning essay will receive a $100 prize!
A printer-friendly PDF version of the information below is available in the Quick Links box to the right.
- The contest is open to undergraduate and graduate Northern Illinois University students.
- Students can write personal essays or research papers (including papers written for classes) that focus on the complexities of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender experiences, and/or the experiences of LGBT allies.
- Essays that explore connections between LGBT experiences and issues of race, gender, class, religion, and/or ability are especially encouraged.
- Essays may be any length up to 20 pages (typed, double-spaced).
- Students may submit more than one essay, but will be eligible for only one prize per year.
- Submissions should be sent electronically to email@example.com with the subject line “Essay Contest Submission.”
- In the body of the email message include: the author’s name, address, telephone number, email address, area(s) of study, status as an undergraduate or graduate student, and title of submission.
- Attach the essay to the email message. Essays should be submitted as a Microsoft Word document, double-spaced with 12-point font and 1-inch margins on all pages.
- Authors’ names should not appear anywhere in the body of the essay. The title of the essay should appear on the first page of the body of the essay.
- Submissions will be judged by a panel of readers in terms of relevance to the topic and quality and originality of writing.
- Essays will be coded when submitted and will be reviewed anonymously.
- Contingent upon the number and quality of essays submitted, the LGBT resource Center intends to award a first place $100 prize.
Presentation of Award
The winning essay will be announced during LGBT Awareness Month in April and the award will be presented during the annual Pride Awards Dinner Banquet in April.