Sport, Recreation and Wellness Living-Learning Community
This Living-Learning Community is perfect for any student who loves sport, recreation, and personal wellness. Students on this floor participate in intramural leagues, weekend trips, monthly workshops, and a special section of UNIV 101. They even get year-round direct contact to staff, faculty, and resources in Campus Recreation and the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. This is a great opportunity to enhance your personal wellness and live with other students who share your interest in sport and recreation.
- Get to know your floormates in a kick-off event with teambuilding.
- Participate in a choice of four intramural leagues during the year, including 12” softball, flag football, volleyball, indoor soccer, basketball, floor hockey, 4-on-4 flag football, and outdoor soccer.
- Get a fitness assessment provided by Campus Recreation personal trainers.
- Meet with nutrition coaches to develop an individualized plan for better wellness throughout the year.
- Choose from activities to participate in like crate climbing, specialty group fitness classes, canoe at the East Lagoon, ice skating during winter months, caving, hiking, cross country skiing, and more.
- Join friends from your floor in monthly workshops and special events offered by faculty and staff in Campus Recreation and the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. Workshops topics can include exercise and fitness, environmental sustainability, careers in sport and recreation, financial management, and more.
Program and Costs
Students in this community pay a $50 per semester program fee to cover costs for weekly and monthly activities, nutrition coaching, a health and wellness assessment, intramurals, fitness classes, workshops, and more. Some activities are available for an additional cost.
Foundation Program Activities
|Kick Off & Teambuilding||Included in program fee|
|Intramural League (2 sports per semester)||Included in program fee|
|Fitness Assessment||Included in program fee|
|Fit Pass for Group Fitness Classes||Included in program fee|
|Nutrition Coaching||Included in program fee|
|UNIV 101 1-Credit Course||See tuition rates|
These activities include a variety of one-time and recurring events. You and your floormates will vote on activities to participate in.
|One activity per semester||Crate Climbing||
Choice of one activity per semester is included in program fee.
The community can optionally purchase additional programs from this list at $20 each per participant.
Crate Climbing and Specialty Group Fitness Class/Workout can be scheduled twice per semester at no extra cost.
|Specialty Group Fitness Class/Workout|
|Canoe at the NIU East Lagoon|
|Ice Skating (as weather permits)|
|KNPE Instructor Teaching a Specific Recreation/Sport Activity|
|Optional additional activities
The community can purchase these at an additional rate to cover expenses. At least 14 people are required to register an activity.
|Indoor Climbing||$40 per participant|
|Day Caving||$40 per participant|
|Day Hike||$30 per participant|
|Day Snowshoe/Cross Country Ski||$30 per participant|
Workshops and Special Events
One wellness program per month offered by faculty and staff from Campus Recreation and the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. Possible topics include:
|Included in program fee|
Visit Housing and Residential Services to sign up for a room in this community. After signing up, contact Whitney Harris at email@example.com for a UNIV 101 permit number.
For more information, contact:
Coordinator of Fitness and Wellness for Campus Recreation