Do you want to learn how to use the gym more effectively? Perhaps you want to get in shape and need an extra push to keep you motivated and on track. The NIU Campus Rec Center has great training options to help you get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle.
- Programs Overview
- FREE Equipment Orientation
- Exercise Demonstration Videos
- Fitness to Go
- Meet our Trainers
- Become a Trainer
Individual Personal Training Session:
60 minute one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program that your trainer creates for you based on your fitness and wellness goals.
Partner Training Session:
60 minute sessions for groups of two or more working together with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program for you and your partner(s). Workouts are designed to challenge each person in the group at their specific skill level and target their specific goals.
Huskie Fit Club:
6 week and 12 week programs designed to help you take control of your fitness routine and see amazing results. This group training program helps you live a healthy lifestyle, get back on track with a fitness routine, and beat the stress in your life. Workouts are high-intensity and will help you feel your best! Join the club! Space is limited.
Fitness Assessment - $10
Fitness is not just a number on the scale! Our trainedprofessionals will give you a comprehensive fitnessassessment that considers your lifestyle, blood pressure, body composition, strength, flexibility, and aerobic fitness. Call 815-753–9421 to set up your appointment today.
Fitness To Go:
Have a group looking for a Personal Training, Group Fitness, Nutrition, or combination program? Book one customized for your needs with Fitness To Go.
If you want to learn how to safely and effectively workout, please complete our information form to receive a free equipment orientation.
Signing up for personal training or one-on-one yoga sessions is easy! Sign up online or stop by the Student Recreation Center service counter and choose the package that fits your needs. Both student and non-student member rates are available for all packages and sessions.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
Meet with a personal trainer privately at your convenience. Your trainer will create a progressive exercise program to meet your needs, interests, and goals. Trainers will ensure all exercises are performed correctly and safely. One-On-One sessions include a fitness assessment, initial consultation, and nutrition consultation. Fitness assessments consist of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility, and body fat testing. Single one-on-one sessions are available for those interested in getting started quickly without a fitness assessment and consultation.
Personal Training Package Pricing
Payment options include the following:
- Campus Recreation accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- Payments are required when signing up. Cash or check payments must be completed in person at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter.
- Once payment and paperwork have been received, a trainer will be assigned to the client. The trainer will contact the client within two business days.
- Sessions last approximately one hour. Some sessions will be for 30 minutes only and will count as 1/2 sessions.
- Trainers are obligated to wait 15 minutes for clients to arrive. After 15 minutes the session will be lost. Sessions that start late will end one hour from the original appointment time.
- Campus Recreation follows a 12-hour cancellation/reschedule policy for personal training and one-on-one yoga. Refunds are not given for missed appointments or cancellations/reschedules made less than 12 hours in advance.
- Packages expire three months from the date of purchase.
- Refunds for packages will be honored for documented medical conditions that occur after the time of the purchase. Additionally, other refund requests will be reviewed but must include a substantial reason for the refund request.
Requests for Refunds
- A Refund Request Form can be obtained at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter and must be submitted, with appropriate documentation, to initiate a refund. Campus Recreation will process complete requests within four business days of receipt of the request.
- Written physician documentation for medical conditions must be provided at the time of a refund request.
- Approved medical-related refunds will be given; however, sessions used by the client prior to occurrence of the medical situation will be deducted from the original purchase.
- Refund requests for reasons other than a medical condition can be documented on a Refund Request Form with an attached written or typed letter stating the reason for requesting a refund. Non-medical refund requests will be reviewed by the Assistant Director for Fitness/Wellness. The patron will be notified of a decision within five business days.
Gift certificates can be purchased at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter in any amount. Gift certificates are a unique idea for any occasion. Gift certificates can only be used by NIU students and Campus Recreation members but can be purchased by non-members.
Free Equipment Orientation
Register for a free equipment orientation for help getting started on the cardiovascular and strength training equipment. Sessions are available on an as-needed basis. Orientation sessions may be individual or in small groups, depending on demand.
Exercise Demonstration Videos
The videos below show how to correct common workout mistakes. You will learn to correct your form to prevent injury and unwanted muscle groups. The videos include popular exercises as well as TRX and desk stretches.
Tip #1: Bent Over Row
Tip #2: Squat Lifts
Tip #3 Bench Press
Tip #4: Bicep Curl
Tip #5: Lateral Raises
Tip #6: Dead Lift
Fitness to Go
Campus Recreation offers a variety of off‐site services, lectures, workshops, presentations and workouts for employee and student including:
- Personal training
- Boot camps
- Fitness workouts
- Aerobics classes (Zumba, Pilates, Step, Kickboxing, etc.)
- Cooking Classes and other nutrition services
Meet our Trainers
Campus Recreation personal trainers have developed their personal training skills by working with clients in one-on-one and group settings through previous employment in health and fitness clubs, YMCA's, community recreation programs or through classroom experiences. Trainers are certified through a national organization and hold certifications in CPR/AED, Blood Borne Pathogens, and First Aid.
Education: Kinesiology major
Certification(s): NCCPT and First Aid/CPR
Fitness Philosophy: "There is no 100% right way to exercise."
Education: Studying Kinesiology with a minor in Nutrition & Dietetics
Certification(s): ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, CPR/First Aid
Fitness Philosophy: "Fitness should be an important part of everyone's lives, but one must remember that fitness is a small part to a healthy, enjoyable life. Don't train for special events, train for life. Life is your biggest challenge, train to beat it!"
Become a Trainer
If you are interested in becoming a personal trainer with Campus Recreation, please apply at the Student Recreation Center front desk or submit your resume to Sharon Moskowitz at email@example.com to set up an interview.
We are looking to hire individuals who:
- Have a personal training certification or are working toward a certification
- Are energetic and motivating
- Are reliable and responsible
- Have a passion for fitness and wellness