Skip navigation

Sexual Violence

It’s hard to know what to do, how to feel, or what your options are when a sexual assault has occurred. Please know that you're not alone. Sexual violence includes rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse.

Sexual violence is nonconsensual physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person's will or where a person is incapable of giving consent (e.g., due to the person's age, use of drugs or alcohol, or a disability that prevents a person from having the capacity to give consent). Conduct will be deemed sexual violence whether obtained by force or threat of force and whether completed or attempted.

Sexual exploitation (taking non-consensual or abusive sexual advantage of another for your own benefit) may also be considered a form of sexual violence, depending on the circumstances.

What to Do if You Are a Victim of Sexual Violence

  • Get to a Safe Place.
  • Talk to Someone You Trust. NIU Counseling & Consultation Services provides confidential, no-cost support and advocacy to all students regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. This includes assistance navigating resources and legal options.
  • Preserve Physical Evidence. Physical evidence may be necessary to prosecute the offender and be helpful in obtaining an order of protection. If at all possible, do not bathe, wash your hands, use the restroom, drink, smoke, change clothing, or brush your teeth following an assault.
  • Seek Medical Attention. Kishwaukee Hospital can provide medical services and evidence collection. Alternative medical services are also provided on campus by NIU Health Services. FOR SEVERE INJURIES CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY.
  • Report the Incident. Victims are encouraged to report incidents of sexual assault to NIU Police & Public Safety or to the DeKalb Police Department. This is not a requirement. Students have additional reporting options.

Retaliation against anyone who reports a sexual assault is strictly prohibited. Reports of retaliatory behavior will be addressed immediately.

Talk to someone about sexual violence or you may file a Title IX complaint.