Do you want to learn how to use the gym more effectively? Perhaps you want to get in shape and need an extra push to keep you motivated and on track. The NIU Campus Rec Center has great training options to help you get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle.
If you want to learn how to safely and effectively workout, please complete our information form to receive a free equipment orientation.
Individual Personal Training Session
60-minute one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program that your trainer creates for you based on your fitness and wellness goals.
Partner Training Session
60-minute sessions for groups of two or more working together with a personal trainer. Each training session will be part of a specific program for you and your partner(s). Workouts are designed to challenge each person in the group at their specific skill level and target their specific goals.
Small Group Training
Six-week and 12-week programs designed to help you take control of your fitness routine and see amazing results. This group training program helps you live a healthy lifestyle, get back on track with a fitness routine, and beat the stress in your life. Workouts are high-intensity and will help you feel your best! Join the club! Space is limited.
Fitness Assessment - $10
Fitness is not just a number on the scale! Our trained professionals will give you a comprehensive fitness assessment that considers your lifestyle, blood pressure, body composition, strength, flexibility, and aerobic fitness. Call 815-753–9421 to set up your appointment today.
Signing up for personal training or one-on-one yoga sessions is easy! Sign up online or stop by the Student Recreation Center service counter and choose the package that fits your needs. Both student and non-student member rates are available for all packages and sessions.
One-on-One Personal Training Sessions
Meet with a personal trainer privately at your convenience. Your trainer will create a progressive exercise program to meet your needs, interests, and goals. Trainers will ensure all exercises are performed correctly and safely. One-on-one sessions include a fitness assessment, initial consultation
Personal Training Package Pricing
Bundle PricesFitness Starter Pack (includes one fitness assessment. two personal training sessions and nutrition coaching)
Price: $69 (students/members)
- Recreation and Wellness
acceptscash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- Payments are required when signing up. Cash or check payments must be completed in person at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter.
- Once payment and paperwork have been received, a trainer will be assigned to the client. The trainer will contact the client within a week.
- Clients will be contacted within 3 business days after registering for Personal Training
- Sessions last approximately one hour. Some sessions will be for 30 minutes only and will count as half sessions.
- Trainers are obligated to wait 15 minutes for clients to arrive. After 15 minutes the session will be lost. Sessions that start late will end one hour from the original appointment time.
- RecWell follows a 12-hour cancellation/reschedule policy for personal training. Refunds are not given for missed appointments or cancellations/reschedules made less than 12 hours in advance.
- Packages expire one year from the date of purchase.
- Refunds for packages will be honored for documented medical conditions that occur after the time of the purchase. Additionally, other refund requests will be reviewed but must include a substantial reason for the refund request.
Requests for Refunds
- A Refund Request Form can be obtained at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter and must be submitted, with appropriate documentation, to initiate a refund. RecWell will process approved requests within four business days of receipt of the request.
- Written physician documentation for medical conditions must be provided at the time of a refund request.
- Approved medical-related refunds will be given; however, sessions used by the client prior to the occurrence of the medical situation will be deducted from the original purchase.
- Refund requests for reasons other than a medical condition can be documented on a Refund Request Form with an attached written or typed
letterstating the reason for requesting a refund. Non-medical refund requests will be reviewed by the Assistant Director for Fitness. The patron will be notified of a decision within five business days.
Gift certificates can be purchased at the Student Recreation Center Service Counter in any amount. Gift certificates are a unique idea for any occasion. Gift certificates can only be used by NIU students and Recreation and Wellness members but can be purchased by non-members.
Free Equipment Orientation
Register for a free equipment orientation for help getting started on the cardiovascular and strength training equipment. Sessions are available on an as-needed basis. Orientation sessions may be individual or in small groups, depending on demand.
Meet our Trainers
Recreation and Wellness personal trainers have developed their personal training skills by working with clients in one-on-one and group settings through previous employment in health and fitness clubs, YMCA's, community recreation programs or through classroom experiences. Trainers are certified through a national organization and hold certifications in CPR/AED, Blood Borne Pathogens, and First Aid.
Hometown: Saint Charles, IL
Education: Pre-Physical Therapy
Certifications: NREMT and NASM
What I love about fitness: It is great for the body and mind
Hometown: Hoyleton, IL
Education: Nutrition & Dietetics Major, Kinesiology Minor
Certifications: CPR & First Aid, Food Safety & Sanitation
What I love about fitness: I love the variety. There is always something for someone! I love playing volleyball, running, lifting weights and, most importantly, dancing alone in my room - any and all movement is fitness, so do what you love!
Hometown: Hennepin, IL
Education: Kinesiology major with a minor in Nutrition
Certification: ISSA Personal Trainer
What I love about fitness: The endless wats one can change and better their health with exercise. Also, the journey one takes to reach their fitness foals and achieve what it is they set out to reach. Along with pushing limits and reaching new highs that one never knew they were capable of.
Hometown: Normal, IL
Education: Political Science major, minor in Applied Statistics and Probability
Certifications: NETA-CB for Personal Trainers
What I love about fitness: Feeling great after a challenging workout
Hometown: Bellflower, IL
Education: Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. Minor is Business Innovations and Entrepreneurship
Certifications: Competitive Powerlifting in USPA and AAPF
What I love about fitness: There are lots of things to love about fitness. Getting stronger is empowering, and achieveing goals helps you recognize your capabilities.
Hometown: Naperville, IL
Certifications: ISSA Personal Trainer
What I love about fitness: Fitness is that watershed moment when you find that you are capable of far more than you previously allowed yourself to experience. My wiring is consistent of a current drive to push my limits. I constantly want to beter myself, I want to be the best at what I do. I spend most of my time in a gym, training my body and my mind for excellence.
Become a Trainer
If you are interested in becoming a personal trainer with RecWell, please apply by submitting your resume to Leanne Kulchawik at email@example.com.
We are looking to hire individuals who:
- Have a personal training certification or are working toward a certification
- Are energetic and motivating
- Are reliable and responsible
- Have a passion for fitness and wellness
Applicants must possess ONE of the following requirements
- Personal Training Certification from ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA, NASM or NSCA or other Nationally Recognized and Accredited Organization.
- Working towards obtaining certification from Accredited Organization. (Test must be scheduled prior to employment)
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science or related health field