When the NIU Police receive complaints about sexual assault/harassment, domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, we refer students to speak with the Advocacy Coordinator at Counseling and Consultation Services. Advocacy Services provides assistance to students in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Education on victimization, orders of protection and other relevant information
- Information on available options as a survivor
- Assistance communicating with professors to coordinate academic support
- Support at administrative meetings
- Assistance making reports (NIU Police, DeKalb Police, Title IX)
- Support coordinating various accommodations
- Personal counseling referrals
Advocacy Services works with students through processes specific to the university and beyond. These may include Title IX, student conduct, academic and civil processes.
When an NIU student reports a criminal sexual assault to the NIU Police, the advocacy coordinator is informed. The advocacy coordinator has knowledge of both the criminal justice system and administrative processes at the institution and can answer questions regarding both systems. If you would like to speak with the advocacy coordinator regarding general questions or assistance, please call Counseling & Consultation Services at 815-753-1206. Walk-in appointments are available, but calling and making appointments is preferred. Students wanting to utilize Advocacy Services are not required to participate in counseling appointments at the center.
Counseling & Consultation Services
Campus Life Building Room 200
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212