- NIU Department of Police and Public Safety
- Community Resources
- Department of Children and Family Services
Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS)
The Department of Children and Family Services, or DCFS, protects children through their investigation of suspected abuse or neglect. That neglect can be at the hands of parents or other caregivers in a position of trust or authority over the child.
The NIU Department of Police and Public Safety occasionally experience investigations where DCFS is notified and a DCFS investigator is assigned to the case.
Also, the NIU Campus Child Care and the Child Development Lab are considered Mandated Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect. This means that NIU staff members are required by law to report any suspected child abuse or neglect to DCFS. Types Of abuse/neglect Include:
- Physical: hitting, shoving, shaking, burning
- Emotional/Mental: screaming, intimidating, ridiculing, rejecting, denying reality, harming pets
- Sexual: fondling, intercourse, oral sex, masturbation, exploitation
- Neglect: failure to provide adequate supervision, food, clothing, shelter, medical care or basic needs for reasons other than poverty
If you know or suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, please contact the DCFS Child Abuse Hotline (800-252-2873) and submit a written confirmation of suspected child abuse/neglect report to DCFS within 48 hours utilizing the form and instructions received from the hotline.
Contact DeKalb DCFS
760 Peace Road, DeKalb 60115
Child Abuse Hotline
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212