- Military and Post-Traditional Student Services
- Military Student Resources
- VA Work-Study Benefits Counselor
VA Work-Study Benefits Counselor
Position Name: VA Work-Study Benefits Counselor
Department: Military & Post-Traditional Student Services
Contact: Terri Gibble, firstname.lastname@example.org
Priority Deadline: Friday, September 8, 2017
The Military & Post-Traditional Student Services has an employment opportunity for a VA work-study VA Benefits with experience in student services, technical support, and project work. Working under the supervision of the Assistant Program Director, the benefits counselor will provide service to military and veteran students using any state or federal military education benefits. Occasional assistance with department student events is needed.
- Must be currently receiving veteran federal education benefit (GI Bill)
- Must be enrolled in NIU courses AT LEAST ¾ time (6.75-9 credit hours) during semesters they are contracted to work.
- May not work anywhere else while employed
- Hours worked may not exceed 25 hrs./wk. (550 hours per semester)
- Working knowledge of MyNIU, MS Office applications
- Ability to be organized
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with and without direct supervision
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Effective written and communication skills
- Positive attitude with a strong focus on student service
- Assist with department student events, when requested
- This is a security sensitive position. Student must be able to commit to confidentiality of student record information.
- Work between the days and hours of M-F 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Schedule is flexible and based upon the benefit counselor’s semester schedule)
- Familiarity with student veteran lifestyle
- Hourly position
- VA required pay is Illinois state minimum $8.25/hr.
- Copy of semester schedule
- VA Work-Study Benefits Counselor Application available in CLB #240
- Names and contact information for two references