Immigration Advising

Change of Address

Immigration regulations require all individuals in F status (including dependents) to report changes in their address – both home address and local address within 10 days of the move.


You may inform ISFO of any changes or corrections to your addresses by going on-line at

  1. Click on "go to MyNIU"
  2. Log in with your ZID and password
  3. Click on "self-service"
  4. Click on "Campus Personal Information"
  5. Click on "Addresses"
  6. Edit current address or add new addresses

Permanent Address. It is preferred you enter your address outside the US in this field. Please check with registration and records to make sure information is not mailed to this address during the summer.

Local address. This is where you live in the United States and should be where you sleep. ISS is also required by law to report your local address to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through SEVIS.

Once you leave NIU

  • If you remain in SEVIS on OPT, you should continue to update your address by filling out the OPT Information update form.
  • If you are not in SEVIS because you have changed to another status, you should update your address with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by completing the AR-11 and sending directly to DHS.