Immigration Advising

On/Off Campus Employment

J-1 On-Campus Employment

J-1 students are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. If you are registered in spring and will be registered in summer or the following fall, you may work full time on campus (more than 20 hours per week). However, all J-1 student employment requires written authorization by the immigration advisor of the student's program. If your DS-2019 was issued by NIU, your immigration advisor is Stephanie Brown. If your DS-2019 was issued by a programming agency such as IIE, AMIDEAST, LASPAU, then the advisor of that agency must give you work authorization.

J-1 Off-Campus Employment (Academic Training)

J-1 Off-Campus Employment (Economic Necessity)

If as a J-1 student you find that you must work due to serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances, you may apply to your program sponsor for work permission. If NIU issued the DS-2019, then an ISFO advisor can authorize off-campus employment; if another program sponsor (i.e., IIE, LASPAU, AMIDEAST, etc.) issued your DS-2019, that agency must give written employment authorization. Please contact Stephanie Brown for more information about this type of employment.