- All enrolled NIU students must provide proof of immunity for tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps and rubella.
- All enrolled NIU students must complete the TB Screening Questionnaire, which is distributed during orientation
- Students considered to be at high risk for tuberculosis will need to be tested. Expenses for the TB test will be covered by student health insurance.
Student Health Insurance
You are automatically covered by, and billed for, NIU's student health insurance plan if you are enrolled in at least 1 credit hour.
If you are a student in an F status or a J status, you are required to have the NIU student insurance unless:
- You have prior approval of the International Student & Faculty Office & the Student Health Insurance office.
- You have another comparable policy from your program sponsor that meets the insurance requirements set by the U.S. Department of State.
- You are sponsored by your home government and provided with comparable insurance policy.
- You are dependents of H visa holder, lawful permanent resident or other working visa holder who has comparable coverage.
- If you are on H status you may cancel the NIU insurance if you have other comparable coverage.
- You cannot purchase insurance in your home country and then cancel the NIU insurance plan.
- Students who are eligible to cancel the insurance must contact either the International Student and Faculty Office or the Student Health Insurance office and provide proof of other comparable coverage during the semester’s waiver period.
- Students who want to cancel the insurance after the waiver period has ended must file an appeal.
- If you waive the insurance you must do so each semester you attend NIU so your insurance information can be reviewed and approved as up-to-date.