Student Position Classification
The university may provide employment for students on an hourly basis in accord with the needs of various departments, available authorized funds, and the provisions of the State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS). Student employees must be enrolled or accepted for admission, or in the case of special program students (occupational or vocational rehabilitation), approved by the university.
The following are descriptions of the approved classifications. These descriptions are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties and are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the classification.
On-Campus Student Jobs
- Clerical (1100) - Students hired under this classification generally perform the following types of duties: general office work, filing, photocopying, answering phone calls and relaying calls and messages to appropriate staff, sending and receiving mail, cashiering in a non-food service department, assisting in maintaining records, greeting customers, scheduling meetings, and assisting in responding to customer inquiries.
- Professional Services (1101) - Students hired under this classification number have a professional or trained skill. Students hired under this classification generally perform the following types of duties: personal training, assisting a Human Resources assistant or officer, assisting a Payroll specialist, interpreting at special events and presentations, cartography, and assisting in or designing illustrations.
- Technical, Laboratory Assistant, and Supervisor (1102) - Students hired under this classification generally perform the following types of duties: technical duties, such as: computer lab attendant, scientific lab worker, research assistant, audio-visual job. Supervisor type duties for other student staff, such as: training, scheduling work times, answering questions regarding computer applications or programs, trouble shooting computer problems, assisting in maintenance of computer equipment, and assisting with web design and applications.
- Service (1103) - Students hired under this classification generally perform the following types of duties: food service, library work, custodial, housing, transportation, and University Programming and Activities.
- Recreation (1104) - Students hired under this classification generally work at the Campus Recreation Center, performing the following types of duties: trip leaders, supervise off-campus recreational trips, and schedule various intramural leagues (indoor and outdoor).
- Negotiated / Flat Rate (1105)
- Auditorium Technical Staff (1106) - Students hired under this classification work at the NIU Convocation Center, using and maintaining technical equipment used for: sound systems, lighting systems, rigging, and set construction
- Internship (1107)
It is important that graduate students are properly classified based on their duties. The following classifications are available for graduate assistant employment positions:
- Graduate Staff Assistant (6138)
- Graduate Research Assistant (6139)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (6140)
Your Human Resource Service Team is available to assist you with any of your human resource needs, call the HRS Service Center at (815) 753-6000.