Housing Social Media and Design Team
We've received your application. Thanks!
If you completely filled out your application, we will be in touch soon.
We're an awesome team of students that communicates the mission and vision of Housing and Residential Services through social media and the production of digital and print graphics.
See our department's Facebook page to get an idea of the kinds of things we do.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design graphics for booklets, posters, digital displays, flyers, social media, and other publications.
- Communicate and market the department and its programs on social media outlets.
- Gather social media analytics.
- Research and evaluate new and existing promotional strategies.
- Abide by and enforce the Communication Standards for Institutional Brand Identity provided by the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communications
- Arrive promptly for scheduled shifts and complete all assigned responsibilities.
- Be knowledgeable about university/department policies and current concerns.
- Abide by and enforce Residential Technology policies and procedures.
- Check any messages from previous staff shifts, office email communication, posted announcements / information.
- Notify department management staff and, when necessary, the University Police, of any emergency situation, potential hazardous situation or to request personal assistance as needed. Complete documentation of events and appear at Judicial Office hearings or other legal proceedings related to on-the-job incidents when the staff member is a witness to a situation warranting formal disciplinary follow-up.
- Assist in emergency situations as directed. Student staffs are never expected to put themselves into a potentially dangerous situation in the course of their assigned duties.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times regarding Housing and Residential Services business and any information or situations which may violate a student’s privacy. This may include incidents in which you are involved or about which you have been informed including: roster information, names of residents, unlisted phone numbers, staff activities, judicial actions, crisis management plans, and police interaction.
- Attend and participate in training sessions and team meetings.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and sign timesheets to meet established deadlines.
- Abide by, and support, all policies, procedures, and missions of Housing and Residential Services, the Division of Student Affairs, and Northern Illinois University. Actions that could be perceived as undermining the department, division, or university are cause for appropriate work related disciplinary sanctions, up to and including immediate termination.
- Must be a student at NIU enrolled for at least 6 credit hours
- Must have and maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average
- Must be in good standing with the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct
- Must successfully pass an Illinois State security background check
- Available to work throughout the year, including semester breaks
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Understand how to use layout, color, typography, photography, and brand elements to create effective communications
- Exceptional teamwork skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to learn fast and pick up new skills quickly
- Self-directed with excellent time management skills
- Experience gathering requirements and defining project scope
- Experience producing motion graphics
- Experience designing graphics for web and social media
- Experience in photography and videography
You can apply online for this position. Please answer all of the following questions to the best of your knowledge.
Northern Illinois University is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. The Constitution and Bylaws of Northern Illinois University afford equal treatment regardless of political views or affiliation, and sexual orientation. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.