NIU Service Leaders
NIU Service Leaders is a Federal Work-Study program for eligible sophomores, juniors, and seniors that provides opportunities to engage with local high schools, middle schools, and organizations that serve predominantly DeKalb county youth. As mentors, students also teach civics and civic participation and tutor in reading and literacy. Students work in teams at various community sites and meet monthly during cohort meetings geared toward professional development and academic resources. Each team is led by a Peer Mentor who facilitates additional team meetings and group reflection on their service experience.
As an NIU Service Leader, you will:
- Make a difference in your surrounding community
- Grow your academic, social, and civic knowledge, and vocational skills
- Connect with like-minded students
- Attend professional and academic enrichment activities
- Present your work at the annual Community Engagement Showcase
Read more information about eligibility and applying to the program. For additional info, send us an email.
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.