Ji-Chul Ryu, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware (2009)
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) (1999)
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) (1997)
- Integrated Planning and Control of Autonomous Mobile Robots and Mobile Manipulators
- Intelligent Assistive Technologies with Mobile Robot Systems
- Dynamic Nonprehensile Robotic Manipulation
- Nonlinear Dynamic Systems Modeling and Control
Professional Associations and Honors
- Recipient of the MSC Simulation Software Award at the 2007 ASME International Design Engineering TechnicalConferences
- Member of Editorial Board of the international journal of "Advances in Robotics Research (ARR)"
- Member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), affiliated with Dynamic Systems & Control Division, 2005-present
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), affiliated with Robotics and Automation Society, 2005-present
- Intelligent Powered Mobility for Infants and Special Needs Children, Patent No. US8090488, 2012
- J.-C. Ryu, F. Ruggiero, and K. M. Lynch, "Control of Nonprehensile Rolling Manipulation: Balancing a Disk on a Disk," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, in print.
- J. Gomez, J.-C. Ryu, S. Alonso, and S. K. Agrawal, "Development and Validation of Globally Asymptotically Stable Control Laws for Automatic Tractor Guidance," Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 1099-1108, 2011.
- J.-C. Ryu and S. K. Agrawal, "Differential Flatness-based Robust Control of Mobile Robots in the Presence of Slip," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 463-475, 2011.
- C. P. Tang, P. T. Miller, V. N. Krovi, J.-C.Ryu and S. K. Agrawal, "Differential Flatness-based Planning and Control of a Wheeled Mobile Manipulator – Theory and Experiment", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 768-773, 2011.
- J.-C. Ryu and S. K. Agrawal, "Planning and Control of Under-actuated Mobile Manipulators Using Differential Flatness," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 35-52, 2010.
- J.-C. Ryu, V. Sangwan, and S. K. Agrawal, "Differentially Flat Designs of Under-Actuated Mobile Manipulators," ASME Transactions, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 132, No. 2, 024502, 2010.
- R. Bostelman, J.-C. Ryu, T. Chang, J. Johnson, and S. K. Agrawal, "An Advanced Patient Lift and Transfer Device for the Home," ASME Transactions, Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 4, No. 1, 011004, 2010.
- A. Lynch, J.-C. Ryu, S. K. Agrawal, and J. C. Galloway, "Power mobility training for a 7-month-old infant with spina bifida," Pediatric Physical Therapy, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 362-368, 2009.
- J.-C. Ryu, S. K. Agrawal and J. Franch, "Motion Planning and Control of a Tractor with a Steerable Trailer Using Differential Flatness," ASME Transactions, Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 3, No. 3, 031003, 2008.
- J.-C. Ryu, K. Pathak, and S. K. Agrawal, "Control of a Passive Mobility Assistive Robot," ASME Transactions, Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 1, 011002, 2008.
- J. C. Galloway, J.-C.Ryu, S. K. Agrawal, "Babies driving robots: Self-generated mobility in very young infants," Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 123-134, 2008.
- S. K. Agrawal and J.-C.Ryu, "Design of Dissipative and Stable Assist Robots," ASME Transactions, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 129, No. 12, pp. 1251-1255, 2007.
- S.-R. Oh, J.-C.Ryu, and Sunil K. Agrawal, "Dynamics and Control of Helicopters with a Six-Cables Suspended Robot," ASME Transactions, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 128, No. 5, pp. 1113-1121, 2006.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (2013-present)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Neuroscience and Robotics Lab, Northwestern University (2010-2013)
- Supplemental Professional, Mechanical Systems Laboratory, University of Delaware (2009-2010)
- Research Assistant, Mechanical Systems Laboratory, University of Delaware (2005-2009)
- Research Engineer, Mechatronics Center, Samsung, Korea (2002-2004)
- Assistant Research Engineer, Daewoo Heavy Industries and UBprecision, Korea (1999-2002)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL