Health and Wellness Career Cluster
The Health and Wellness cluster is a group of industries associated with the promotion of wellness and healthy lifestyles, the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases and disorders, and supporting others to achieve their potential. Careers in these fields typically involve serving or helping others by educating, training, researching, planning, and providing therapeutic and diagnostic services. Opportunities exist in hands-on care, administration, advocacy, support services, research and development and community enhancement.
How NIU Gets You There
NIU offers a variety of academic pathways, activities and access to organizations to help you get started on your journey toward a career in health and wellness. In addition to the majors, you should develop relationships with your faculty, advisors, and Career Services counselor for information about shadowing, internships, graduate/professional school and career planning. Seek out shadowing/observation and hands-on experience in your health and wellness interest area early on. These opportunities will help determine if a particular health profession is the right fit for you, strengthen your communication and interpersonal skills, and demonstrate your commitment and ability to work with people.
- Pursue leadership, volunteer, internship, research and employment experiences that reflect your passions, interests and career goals.
- Join and participate in health and wellness-related student organizations such as: Communicative Disorders Association, Deaf Pride, Northern Illinois Athletic Trainer's Student Association, Pre-Physical Therapy Club, Student Dietetic Association, Student Health Organization, Student Nurses' Organization, Student Occupational Therapy Association.
- Log in to Huskies Get Hired to search for internships and jobs!
Explore Your Skills
Skills needed for this cluster:
- Abilities: analytical, organizational, physical stamina/fitness,
- Social: compassion, customer-service, interpersonal communication, listening, teamwork
- Personal: critical-thinking, patience, problem-solving
Get more information about occupations and skills related to career clusters.
Industries in this career cluster include:
- Community and Social Services
- Personal Care and Services
Related NIU Majors
Learn more about health and wellness career paths, possible job titles, internships obtained by NIU students and employers who have hired NIU graduates.
- Athletic Training
- Communicative Disorders – Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
- Health Sciences: Emphasis in Pre-Physical Therapy
- Human Development and Family Sciences
- Nutrition, Dietetics and Wellness
- Public Health
- Rehabilitation and Disability Services
- Career Clusters
- Career Resources