NIU’s commitment to engagement has earned the university the Carnegie Foundation’s Curricular Engagement and Outreach Partnerships classifications. This page describes some of the many ways that NIU students and faculty live our mission to share, “teaching, research, artistry, and professional expertise with members of the broader public.”
Exploring Career Opportunities
- Every summer for more than two decades, junior high and high school students have come to NIU for a fun and educational summer camp experiences
- NIU is stepping up efforts to boost the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills and interests of students, even before they reach college age
- The Digital Convergence Lab offers after school programs and summer camps for students interested in designing their own video games
Within the next three years, NIU will have strategically planned and assisted in the building of a broadband communications network of over 2,200 miles of ultra-fast fiber-optics that will bring next-generation technology to the northern Illinois region and other rural areas across the state.
Providing Educational Opportunities
- NIU Outreach annually facilitates delivery of over over 750 courses at our regional sites—NIU Naperville, NIU Rockford, and NIU Hoffman Estates—and other locations around the region. These locations help over 12,000 off-campus learners achieve their educational goals locally each year.
- The Northern Illinois University Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI) is a member-directed group of retirement-age people who seek new learning experiences.
- NIU leads regional P-20 initiatives that promote higher student achievement from pre-school through graduate school.
- The NIU Professional HR Management Certification Programs have been recognized as one of the nation’s “Top 20” SHRM programs for the past five years.
Extending NIU’s Impact
- Since 1993, students have travelled to Pensacola, FL, for spring break in partnership with Habitat for Humanity.
- NIU Outreach serves as the North American center for PASCAL International, a global network of professionals serving higher education, public governance, and the private sector.
- Fast Facts
- History and Traditions
- Accreditation and Affiliation
- Mission and Vision
- Rankings and Recognition
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60604