Why Study Accountancy at NIU?
Join a nationally ranked program that makes your success a priority. Our students' CPA exam pass rates have exceeded the national pass rate for over 20 years and our award-winning professors will help you build the skills you need to launch a successful accounting career.
Careers with an Accountancy Degree
As an NIU accountancy major, you’ll have numerous career development and networking opportunities to help you build a professional skill set, make meaningful connections with employers, and prepare for your future career.
- Experience accounting as a career with an academic internship while earning credit towards graduation. Many students get a full-time job offer as a result of an internship!
- Connect with more than 60 employers at a career fair exclusively for accountancy students.
- Join one of our many student organizations to learn more about the career opportunities, engage with recruiters, participate in service activities, and make life-long friendships.
- Learn about the accounting profession and build the skills you need to be a successful professional through our career planning and career skills courses.
- Take advantage of our outstanding network of alumni, who present in our classes, provide our students with generous scholarship support, and mentor our recent graduates
At NIU, you’ll study with award-winning and nationally recognized professors who care about your success and who bring real-world expertise into the classroom to enhance your educational experience. And our junior and senior accountancy class sizes are small (on average, 25-40 students), so your professors will get to know you by name and give you the attention you need.
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
We’ve designed our curriculum to prepare you for the challenges and opportunities in the business world through required courses in accounting information systems, financial reporting, cost management, auditing and assurance services, taxation, and data analytics.
You’ll also have the opportunity to customize your education through senior-level elective courses in specialized topics like the following:
- Forensic accounting.
- Internal auditing.
- IT auditing.
- SEC reporting and corporate governance.
- Governmental and not-for-profit accounting.
Successful accounting professionals need more than just strong technical skills, so our courses incorporate case studies, team projects, presentations and writing assignments to give you opportunities to develop your problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.