- About the program
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Course Information
- Engaged Learning
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- News & Events
- Women's History Month
- WOMS A to Z
- Helpful Links
- Contact Us
- Women's Studies Home
Law & Women's Studies Graduate Certificate
Course work leading to the certificate of graduate study in law and women’s studies permits study of the intersection of gender and the law through a systematic engagement with feminist theory, scholarship on women and gender, and legal scholarship. Completion of the certificate requirements results in recognition on the student’s transcript. The certificate is available to students in good standing in the College of Law or in any graduate program in the university. Students-at-large in good standing may also pursue the certificate. Faculty who regularly teach courses which contribute to the certificate come from a variety of departments and colleges.
Students interested in pursuing this certificate are advised to consult with the director of women’s studies or the associate dean of the College of Law as early as possible in their graduate program to determine the program of courses to be used toward the certificate.
With the approval of the director of the Women’s Studies Program, independent study and topics courses in a variety of departments may meet the certificate requirements when substantial treatment of law and women’s studies is included in the course. Non-law students may register for Law courses only with approval of the associate dean of the College of Law.
- WOMS 620 - Feminist Theory (3)
One of the following (3-4):
- LAW 800 - Externship (4) 1, 2
- LAW 805 - Domestic Abuse Clinic (4) 1
- WOMS 602 - Internship in Women’s Studies (3) 3
One of the following (2-3):
- LAW 610 - Family Law (3)
- LAW 672 - Employment Discrimination (2)
- LAW 685 - Gender and the Law (3)
- LAW 693 - Gender and the Constitution (3)
- LAW 696 - Sexuality and the Law (3)
- LAW 795 - Directed Research (3) 2
One of the following (2-4):
- ANTH 522 - Gender in Southeast Asia (3)
- ANTH 568 - Anthropology of Gender (3)
- CAHA 759 - Critical Feminist Pedagogies in Adult and Higher Education (3)
- CAHC 592 - Special Topics in Counseling (1-3) 4, 5
- CAHC 595 - Women and Careers (3)
- COMS 640 - Seminar in Communication and Gender (3)
- EPFE 590 - Workshop in Education (1-3) 4, 5
- EPFE 703 - Seminar: Gender Issues in Educational Thought (3)
- FCNS 600B – Seminar: Family and Child Studies(3) 4, 5
- HIST 502 - Gender and Sexuality in History (3)
- HIST 513 - Family, Sexuality, and Society since 1400 (3)
- HIST 573 - Topics in Women's History (3)
- HIST 610 - Reading Seminar in U.S. History (3) 4, 5
- ILAS 650 - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies (3)
- MGMT 528 - Equal Opportunity and Employment (3)
- PSYC 595 - Seminar in Special Topics (3) 4, 5
- SOCI 557 - Families in Global Perspective (3)
- SOCI 587 - Gender and Crime (3)
- SOCI 663 - Women's Health Issues (3)
- WOMS 530 - Special Topics in Women's Studies (3)
(Requires advance approval of the director of Women’s Studies.)
- WOMS 534 - Women, Men, and Language (3)
- WOMS 610 - Topics in Women's Studies (3) 5
- WOMS 625X - Museums: Gender, Race, and Class (3)
- WOMS 630 – Research in Women’s Studies (3)
- WOMS 639 - Independent Study in Women's Studies (1-3) 5
1 Available only to College of Law students.
2 Topic and placement require advance approval by associate dean of the College of Law and director of Women’s Studies.
3 Topic and placement require advance approval by director of Women’s Studies.
4 May meet the certificate requirements when substantial treatment of women’s studies is included.
5 Requires advance approval of the director of Women’s Studies.
Reavis Hall, Room 103
David Gaebler, Associate Dean
College of Law
Swen Parson, Room 195B
Download the WOMS 602: Internship in Women's Studies approval form (Approval required at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester)
Download the WOMS 639: Independent Study in Women's Studies approval form (Approval required at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester)
For more information about the certificate, visit the online 2014-2015 Graduate Catalog.
Check out the Graduate Certificate in Women's Studies.
We offer a limited number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships.
We also offer two scholarships.
We have a growing library of resources.
Contact Us with questions/concerns.
Contact the Graduate School for information about and to apply to graduate programs.
Learn about and apply to be a student-at-large.