14.6.6 Committee on the Improvement of Undergraduate Education
(A) Faculty Representation
1. One faculty representative from the Undergraduate Coordinating Council shall be chosen by the faculty of the Undergraduate Coordinating Council.
2. One faculty representative shall be appointed by the curriculum committee of each undergraduate degree-granting college except the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
3. Three faculty members shall be appointed by the curriculum committee of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to represent the areas of the humanities, the social sciences, and the other sciences.
4. One faculty representative shall be appointed by the faculty of the University Libraries.
5. Faculty members shall serve three-year staggered, renewable terms beginning in the fall semester.
6. The chair shall be elected by the voting members of the Committee on the Improvement of Undergraduate Education and shall serve a one-year renewable term beginning in the fall semester.
(B) Student Representation
1. Six students shall be selected so that there are two undergraduate student members from within the different divisions in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and one undergraduate student member from each of the remaining undergraduate degree-granting colleges.
2. A representative of the Student Association, appointed by the president of the Student Association, shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the committee.
3. If the above selection procedures do not produce a minority student, the president of the Student Association shall appoint such a student as a nonvoting member.
4. Student members shall serve one-year renewable terms beginning in the fall semester.
(C) Alumni Representation A representative from the NIU Alumni Association, appointed by that association, shall be an ex officio, nonvoting member.
(D) Administration Representation The following shall be ex officio, nonvoting members of the committee:
vice provost responsible for undergraduate education;
associate vice provost for university honors;
director of one of the special academic units focusing on minority student concerns.
(The executive vice president and provost shall annually, by September, designate the director who is to serve on the committee during that academic year.)
(A) To recommend changes or experiments in the undergraduate program at the university to the Undergraduate Coordinating Council.
(B) To establish the policies and procedures for the annual awards to outstanding undergraduate teachers at the university.
(C) To explore ways of aiding faculty members in improving their methods of teaching.
(D) To report its activities and recommendations related to purpose and duties annually to the Undergraduate Coordinating Council.
Committee on the Improvement of Undergraduate Education (CIUE)
The CIUE meets approximately eight Mondays throughout the academic year, 1-3 p.m.
2013-14 meeting dates are: September 9, Oc tober 14, February 3, February 17, March 17, April 7, April 28.
|+^Vice Provost||Anne Birberick||Anne Birberick|
|UCC Faculty||Joel Stafstrom||Linda Matuszewski|
|Business||Brian Mackie||Brian Mackie||Brian Mackie||Brian Mackie|
|Sheryl Honig||Sheryl Honig||Sheryl Honig|
|Engineering||Abul Azad||Shanthi Muthuswamy||Shanthi Muthuswamy||Shanthi Muthuswamy|
|Health & Human Sciences||Kathleen Musker
|Karen Brandt||Karen Brandt||Karen Brandt|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities||Jason Hanna||Jason Hanna||Jason Hanna|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Social Sciences||Mark Meher
(for Meher Spring 2013)
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Other Sciences||Richard Blecksmith
|Visual & Performing Arts||Billie Giese|
|University Libraries Faculty||Sarah McHone-Chase||Sarah McHone-Chase|
|+ SA Representative||Kyle Bak|
|Students (6)||Robert Wolf, HHS
James Sykora, EET
Seana Miller, LAS
|Aaron Corneli - HHS
Audrina Pryer - LAS
Derek Brown - LAS
|+^ Associate Vice Provost for University Honors||Christopher Jones||J.D. Bowers|
|+ Alumni Association Representative||Pat Anderson||Pat Anderson|
|+ Director of one of the special academic units for minorities||Elizabeth Tovar|
^ ex officio
+ ex officio, nonvoting