Role as a Parent
As a parent of someone who is interested in joining a fraternity or sorority, you have several roles. These include:
- Be supportive and learn as much as you can by asking questions of your son or daughter as he or she meets people through the recruitment process. Fraternity and sorority members will be more than happy to tell them (and you) more about their group.
- Encourage your son or daughter to attend as many campus events as possible during the fall semester. Being involved is the best way to meet active Greek members and learn about their chapters. Involvement in other student organizations is looked favorably upon during the membership selection process.
- Students need support throughout the process of recruitment/rush and new member education. Be supportive and learn as much as you can about Greek life by asking questions of your student as he/she meets members in fraternities and sororities.
- Keep an open mind…Fraternity/Sorority life is not for everyone. Just because you may have been a fraternity or sorority member doesn’t mean that it is the right choice for your son or daughter.
- Fraternities and sororities are different on every campus. Groups that may have been strong on the campus where you attended school may not have the same reputation at Northern Illinois University. Let your son or daughter choose the group that he or she feels the most comfortable joining.
- Talk to your son or daughter beforehand about the financial obligation. Determine who will pay for what and where the limits are.
- Do not become too involved in the fraternity or sorority recruitment/rush process…this is your son or daughter’s decision.
- Keep Student Involvement & Leadership Development contact information on hand if you have any questions or concerns about Fraternity & Sorority Life at the Northern Illinois University at 815-753-1421.
- If you sense your student may be participating in inappropriate activities as a result of membership in a fraternity or sorority, you should contact Student Involvement & Leadership Development at 815-753-1421 or the Department of Police and Public Safety at 815-753-1212. Calls will be handled in a discrete manner.
Student Involvement and Leadership Development
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115