Questions to Ask Your Son or Daughter
If your child is interested in joining a fraternity or sorority, we encourage you to be an active participant in helping them reach a final decision. Since fraternity and sorority membership is a life-long commitment, it is not a decision to be made lightly. Consider asking your son or daughter some of these questions:
- What is expected of fraternity/sorority members?
- How will membership affect my son’s/daughter’s academics?
- What leadership opportunities are available to students as both new members and active members?
- Does the chapter perform hands-on community service? If so, how often?
- What are the expenses associated with membership? How does this vary as a new member?
- What type of member is the chapter looking for?
- What values does this organization promote?
- Is the organization officially recognized by the College? If not, why is this the case?
- What is the time commitment?
Student Involvement and Leadership Development
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115