- Scholarship Home
- Scholarship Resources
Incoming students may be awarded scholarships based on their application for admission to NIU. However, there are many other ways to locate potential scholarship opportunities.
Visit the NIU AcademicWorks scholarship application system to apply for multiple NIU scholarships. The system is generally open between November and January with scholarships for the following academic year.
You will also want to consider scholarships outside of NIU. Check with the following:
- Your high school guidance counselor or college advisor
- Employers (both yours and your parents')
- Local organizations or affiliations (Kiwanis, 4-H, Lions Club)
- Places of personal volunteerism (local hospitals, clubs, etc.)
- Your church
- Chamber of Commerce
- Local library - there are numerous reference books on scholarships and foundations.
- The Internet - NIU lists many reliable online scholarship resources
- Newspapers - watch for firms or organizations offering scholarships as well as listings of local students who have won.
- Yellow Pages - find out if any professional/social organizations have chapters in your area.
When applying for scholarships, start by making a complete list of your awards and accomplishments as well as activities, jobs and volunteer work. Once you have this information organized it will be easier for you to determine the scholarships for which you may be eligible.