Give a Tip
The NIU Police recognize people are sometimes concerned about their surroundings and don’t always feel comfortable being seen talking with the police. We still want to be available to help solve your problem, so we have anonymous ways for you to contact us.
Each local police agency has their own mechanisms listed below. When leaving a tip, please give as detailed information as possible. If you are not certain which agency is the best for you to contact, submit a tip via the NIU TipLine and we will assign it to the proper agency.
NIU Police- TipLine
The TipLine is an opportunity to report illegal activities and/or violations of the Student Code of Conduct, without revealing your name. A cash reward of up to $250 may be paid for information that leads to an arrest or a finding of guilt through the office of Student Conduct.
You do not give your name. Instead you are assigned a code to ensure your anonymity. We do not use caller ID. You are only asked to give the information you feel comfortable providing. Your cash reward will be left in an envelope at a local bank with your code on it. You make all future contact since we don’t have your phone number.
- Call: Call the NIU TipLine at 815-753-TIPS (8477)
- Online report: Complete the online submission form
DeKalb Police- iWatch DeKalb
The City of DeKalb Police Department offers the following confidential options for reporting crimes:
- Text: Send an anonymous text to 815-673-7603
- Call: Call the anonymous Tip Line at 815-673-7603
- Online Report: Send an anonymous quick tip via the iWatch Crime Tip Form
- App: Visit the City of DeKalb website to download a free mobile android, blackberry or iPhone app to submit a tip
DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office- Crime Stoppers
The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office offers the following confidential options:
- Call: Call crime stoppers at 815-895-3272.
- Email: Email the DCSO at email@example.com
Illinois State Police- Crime Stoppers Association
The Illinois State Police maintain the Crime Stoppers Association and will route your tip to the appropriate jurisdiction. The association is also recognized internationally.