Report An Emergency
An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The NIU Department of Police and Public Safety wants you to know that if you need to report an emergency, call 911 immediately.
Here are some important things to know in case of a 911 emergency:
- If you see a crime is in progress, call 911 immediately.
- If you are the victim of the crime, call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If you are on campus, there are several emergency call boxes that will immediately connect you with police telecommunicators who dispatch police and first responders.
- If you see a police officer and need help, feel free to approach the officer to request assistance. In the event of an on-going incident, the police must stop the threat; so they might only speak with you very briefly before moving to address the threat.
- During an emergency that affects an entire area, it is important that you do not overload the 911 system with non-emergency calls.
- Emergency Information
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212