November 02, 2012
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
November 8, 2012
Board of Trustees Room
Altgeld Hall 315 – Northern Illinois University
Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee Meeting
Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee Meeting
Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee Meeting
and Special Meeting
Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University
9 a.m. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposal for Committee review and endorsement: Appointments with Rank and Tenure; Requests for New School and New Department; and Request to Delete a Program. For review and information: Online Learning Support Services RFP; Oversight of Academic Programs; and Higher Learning Commission Accreditation Update. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
10 a.m. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for Committee review and endorsement: Fiscal Year 2014 Mass Transit Contract; Housing and Dining Services Cable Television Programming Package; College of Engineering Grant Subcontract for Services; Department of Geology Grant Subcontract – Consulting Services Amendment; Northern Illinois Research Foundation Expenditure Authority Amendment; and Online Learning Support Services RFP. For review and information: Semiannual Progress Report of Active Capital Projects; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; and Periodic Report on Investments. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
11 a.m. Legislation, Audit, External Affairs and Compliance Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for Committee review and information: Board of Trustees Conflict of Interest and Compliance Policies: (1) Recent University Policy Updates, (2) Board of Trustees Conflict of Interest Policy Options, (3) Revolving Door Prohibitions Briefing; Internal Audit Annual Report; Fall 2012 Recruitment Update; and Preliminary Report on Federal and State Mandated Reports. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
Noon to 2 p.m. Board of Trustees Special Meeting *
2 p.m. Board of Trustees Special Meeting Reconvened
(Expected to include presentation of a proposal for approval: Resolution Regarding the Selection of an Executive Search Firm and the Appointment of a Presidential Search Advisory Committee. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
2. VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
3. MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL
4. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
5. COMMITTEE CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
7. UNIVERSITY RECOMMENDATIONS AND REPORTS
8. OTHER MATTERS
9. NEXT MEETING DATE
* Format of meeting: Convene public meeting; after roll call, verification of meeting notice postings and agenda approval, immediately recess to Closed Session; reconvene public meeting.
The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
1. Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
2. Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
3. To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
4. The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
# # #
Media Contact: Paul Palian, NIU Media & Public Relations