- Departments and Services
- Institutional Communications
- Photography and Videography
- Photo Best Practices
Photo Best Practices
Best Practices Regarding University Photography and Personal Privacy
- Generally speaking, it is permissible to capture university photographic images of people in public places performing public activities.
- For staged photography set-ups in the residence halls, NIU photographers should obtain signed release forms from the subjects.
- While shooting photographic images, NIU photographers will respect anyone's request not to be photographed. It is permissible to request that anyone not wishing to be photographed to move, within reason, to a location away from the area of photographic interest.
- Upon request, NIU will remove any images from a university controlled social media site.
- If a printed brochure contains objectionable images, future printings will include a replacement image, but NIU will not recall materials already printed and/or distributed.
- Photoshop manipulation of images of people to create an artificial scene will not be permitted. Clean-up of images using photoshop is permitted, but altering the context of the photograph is not permitted.
- To the extent possible, reasonable steps should be taken to notify people in advance that photographers will be present and working. This can be accomplished for most predictable public events utilizing signage and printing notices on the backs of tickets.