- About Us
- Involvement & Services
- Programs & Events
- Awards & Scholarships
- Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- LGBT A-Z
- Contact Us
- LGBT Resource Center Home
2013-2014 Submission Deadline:
Do you know someone who has shown their support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people or the LGBT community during the current school year?
Please help us catch them in the act of doing something good!
The Ally Awards are sponsored by the Presidential Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, the LGBT Resource Center and the LGBT Studies Program as a way to recognize individuals, departments, and groups who have done something positive for or on behalf of the LGBT community.
We wish to recognize those who have done such things as:
- Contributed to campus awareness about LGBT issues by organizing a program or event
- Acted in support of issues of concern to the LGBT community in their official role at the university
- Provided support to LGBT organizations on campus
- Addressed LGBT issues in their teaching
- Supported student research or writing on LGBT topics
- Taken actions that help improve the university climate for LGBT people
- Taken actions that help raise public awareness of LGBT concerns
- Challenged discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity
- Supported LGBT students or colleagues at NIU
- Supported LGBT individuals or the LGBT community in some other concrete, demonstrable way!
Please join us in honoring our allies by nominating someone you know using our online Ally Award Nomination Form in the Quick Links section above.
The Ally Awards are an inclusive award, with the intent of recognizing as many people as possible (i.e. it is not a competition designed to select only a few winners).
Recipients of the Ally Award will be recognized at the Ally Awards Reception during LGBT Awareness Month in April. Everyone is welcome!