A member who experiences a divorce, civil union partnership dissolution, legal separation or annulment has a qualifying change in status. The member must, in the case of divorce, civil union dissolution or annulment, terminate the spouse/civil union partner and/or stepchild(ren) or civil union partner children from all coverage. In the case of legal separation, the member may terminate the spouse and/or stepchild(ren)’s coverage if they wish. Members may also increase or decrease Member Optional Life coverage during these changes in status and/or opt back into group insurance coverage if they had previously opted out. The member must notify their agency in writing within 60 days of a divorce, legal separation, civil union dissolution or annulment. GIR/Ps who believe that a member is not reporting a divorce or civil union partnership dissolution should contact the supervisor of the PCU. The supervisor will investigate the matter and process a termination, if appropriate.
- (bank account change)
- Tax Exemptions
- (W-4 Form)
- SURS Pension (update Beneficiary information)
- State Universities Retirement System Member Website
- Life Insurance (update Beneficiary information)
- 403B Provider (update Beneficiary information)
- 457 Plan Provider (update Beneficiary information)
- State of Illinois Central Management Services (CMS)
- 1-800-442-1300 (Deferred Compensation Office)
- Insurance (remove coverage)
- 1-815-753-6000 (ask to be connected to the HR Benefits Office)
- Supply a copy of the Divorce Decree (only require first and last pages)
- Questions, contact the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000.
- SURS QILDRO brochure
- NOTE: Always keep your contact information up to date. To change address, name or update emergency contact information complete the Personal Data - Name Address Form
- If Name Changes
- Copy of new SSN with new name
- Sign and submit to Human Resource Services
- If Name Changes
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.