Finding Your Campus Job
Student Employment opportunities offer an opportunity to learn new skills, augment existing skills, and gain experience that will prepare you for career success. Job searches are a competitive process. Below are steps that help lead to a successful campus job search.
- Make sure you are eligible for Student Employment. If the job requires work study, confirm your award by reviewing your Award Letter in financial aid.
- Login to the Human Resource Student Employment system and create your application. Follow the steps in the application process and a resume will be created for you. Be sure to include the hours you are available to work as that is a key consideration for prospective employers.
- Search and apply for jobs. It is recommended that you view the listings daily and apply when you see a position that you are qualified for and/or interested in.
- After the department reviews your resume, if they are interested in hiring you they will call you in for an interview. It is important that you prepare for this interview. To prepare for the interview consider researching the department and practicing for the interview.
- Send a thank you to the individual(s) that interviewed you.
- If you do not get hired don’t give up! There are a lot of students looking for campus employment. You may have to interview with several departments. Persistence pays off.
Sample Interview Questions/Tips
The following tips can be used to assist you in the interview process:
- Be prepared to answer interview questions. The following are some examples of possible questions:
- What jobs have you held and why did you leave?
- What qualifications do you have that make you feel that you will be successful in this position?
- Why do you think you would like this particular type of job?
- Do you prefer working with others or by yourself?
- What have you learned from the jobs you have held?
- Do you like routine work? Why?
- What jobs have you enjoyed the most? The least? Why?
- How do you work under pressure or stress?
- Can you get recommendations from previous employers?
- Bring a copy of your application with you for reference.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be prepared.
- Thank the interviewer for their time.