Repairs and Maintenance

Residential Facilities is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the residence hall facilities. Through the Work Request Office of Residential Facilities, you can report a problem with your room, MicroFridge, or a public space.

What is the Work Request Office?

As part of the Residential Facilities team, the Work Request Office is the first point of contact for students to submit repair requests for their room or a public space. Work requests are then sent to the Physical Plant, who assigns the appropriate craftsperson to complete the repair. While the Work Request Office itself does not do any repairs, they are your link to getting repairs done.

The Routing Supervisor of Residential Facilities oversees the Work Request Office, which is staffed by full-time, part time, and student employees.

How long will my repair request take?

A craftsperson should be dispatched no longer than 7-10 days from the time you submit a Work Request.

Can a Physical Plant worker enter my room even if no one is present?

Yes. When you submit a request through the Residential Facilities Work Request Office, you are granting Physical Plant employees permission to enter your room in order to fix the problem.

Request a Repair


Neptune East 121
Open Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Closed weekends and during university closures