Room Sign-up


May I see a room before I move in for the fall semester?

Yes. At New Student Orientation during the summer, student rooms will be available for viewing in Grant Towers, Stevenson Towers, Gilbert Hall, New Hall, and Neptune Hall.

When will I receive my assignment?

Both new and continuing students have the opportunity to use a on-line program to select their own room. New students who have already completed the application process will be sent a letter late in the Spring semester to confirm their room selection time and the process. Each student with an active application is assigned a lottery number that will identify the day(s) on which they may go on-line to select a room. Students may select a room on their lottery day or any date after that during which the on-line option is still available. New students who apply for Housing after the beginning of April, will have about 1 week between the time they complete the application process and the time they will be sent notification that they are authorized to go back on line to select their room. Once notified that their application is active the student will have 30 days to complete room selection After 30 days any student who has not completed room selection will be administratively assigned to a room based on space available at that time.

When will I receive my room and roommate information?

Specific roommate information will be forwarded to all residents for Fall semester approximately two to three weeks prior to the start of the semester. If this information is different than the roommate information that was on you initial room assignment confirmation, it means your original roommate has canceled their contract or requested a room change since that time. The final information will contain the specific residence hall room assignment, telephone number for that room, as well as your roommate’s name and home address. At that time, you may contact your new roommate to introduce yourself. Because space is limited, it is a good idea to discuss what each roommate plans to ping, so you don’t end up with two televisions, two stereos, etc. Roommate information for the spring semester is included with the housing information.

What if I am unhappy with my room assignment?

Should you desire a room change, you will have the opportunity to do so after the first ten days of the semester, or after all residents in interim housing have been accommodated in permanent assignments. At that time, should you want to change rooms or discuss a living situation that is causing you concern, you should talk with your Community Advisor. He/she will advise you how to proceed, depending upon your specific situation.

May I obtain a single room?

A limited number of single rooms or double-as-single rooms are available in all halls. Please call 815-753-1525 to request a single room or sign up for the wait list.

I have already selected a room online, but wish to change it before the semester begins. Can I do this?

If you have reason to need a room change after you have selected your room on-line, you may contact the staff at Residential Administration for assistance. We require written confirmation (this can be email) from the student resident of all room change requests. Requests for roommate matching need to have written confirmation from both students. Our ability to make requested room changes is limited to the spaces available at the time of the request. If the space you request is not available, you may ask the staff member assisting you to place you on the Room Waiting List for the particular type of space you prefer. The Waiting List is monitored by the in-hall residence hall staff during the academic year. The person coordinating room changes in your building will contact you if and when the space type you requested becomes available.

Am I required to live in the halls my freshman year?

All single students classified as freshmen (under 30 hours of college credit) who will not have reached their 21st birthday by September 1 and are not residing with their parents or legal guardians, must live in University residence halls as long as space is available. If students required to live on campus do not apply for housing and select a room, they can be charged for the full room rate.

How can I arrange to live with my preferred roommate?

When selecting your room on line coordinate with your preferred roommate to select a room for both of you at the same time. One person will need to acquire the preferred roommate's registration information and select the room for both roommates.

How do I cancel my housing contract if I will not be attending NIU?

If you will not be attending NIU, you need to notify Housing & Dining in writing in order to cancel your residence hall contract. You can download the Contract Release Request from this website. The date your Contract Release Request is received in the Residential Administration office will determine the amount of refund or additional charges as delineated in Section III. E. of the Contract Addendum.

What if I want to cancel my contract but will be attending NIU?

If you have signed an application/contract for residence hall accommodations and no longer desire to reside on campus, you need to be released from your contract. Otherwise, you are responsible for room and board charges as delineated in the Contract Addendum. "Request for Release from a Residence Hall Contract" forms and accompanying explanations are available from Housing & Dining. Request for release from a residence hall contract are reviewed on an individual basis and are not automatic. The signing of another housing contract (i.e., apartment lease) is not grounds for release from a contract.