Graduate coordinator Michael Konen
How about … the ideal place for graduate study in urban geography, climatology, soil science, GIS and mapping science, biogeography, economic geography, environmental management, or climate impacts!
Welcome to Northern Illinois University,
The Department of Geography offers graduate programs leading to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Master of Science (M.S.) in Geography.
… do you love to learn?
… do you need more specialized knowledge to advance in your chosen career field?
… do you enjoy the process of asking questions, developing a strategy to answer the question,
... and then finding the answer?
… do you want to expand your capabilities or add new substance to what you already do?
… are you a leader?
… is it something that you’ve always wanted to do?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’re ready! Here’s what you now need to do.
1. Visit the Graduate School for more information about graduate programs in geography (Masters of Science in Geography or Doctor of Philosophy in Geography).
2. Complete an application to the Graduate School (http://www.grad.niu.edu/grad/apply/degree_seeking.shtml)
3. Find out where to take the Graduate Record Exam (http://etsis4.ets.org/tcenter/) and make an appointment to take the exam.
4. Prepare a “Statement of Career/Educational Goals” and submit it to the Graduate School with your completed application.
5. Arrange to have “official copies” of all undergraduate (and graduate) transcripts sent to the Graduate School.
6. Identify three or more persons qualified to judge your academic potential and ask that they send a letter of reference, on your behalf, to the Graduate School.
7. Take the GRE and have an official record of your scores forwarded to NIU’s Graduate School. If you are an international student whose native language is other than English, you will also need to take the TOEFL exam and have those scores submitted to NIU.
8. Complete an Application for Graduate Assistantship and forward it to the Department of Geography (if interested in financial support).
9. Wait 3-4 weeks, and then you may call the Graduate School at 815/753-0395 to verify that they have received all of your application materials.
|Deadlines||approximate date for final
receipt of all application material
|- for summer semester admission:||
|- for fall semester admission (August) and financial support:||
|- for fall semester admission:||
|- for fall semester admission (International students):||
|- for spring (January) semester admission:||
|- for spring semester admission (International students)||