Undergraduate Student Engagement Travel Grant
Funding for the 2017-2018 fiscal year is no longer available. Funding as well as the application review process for 2018-2019 will resume in July of 2018.
The Undergraduate Student Engagement Travel Grant (USET) provides up to $500 to individual NIU undergraduate students to defray the cost of travel to attend or present at a professional conference, NIU study abroad programs, participation in a service-based experience that includes travel (such as an alternative break) or other student engagement projects.
- All full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply.
- Student must be able to articulate a strong defense as to how the grant and requested travel experience will contribute to their academic and career success at NIU through their application and proposal.
- Eligible expenses include program costs, registration fees, transportation, food and lodging associated with the travel experience, etc.
- The travel must occur while the student is still enrolled at NIU.
- The travel must not have already occurred before the application and all required materials are due. Students cannot be reimbursed for experiences that have already taken place.
- This is an individual award - no groups may apply.*
- Students may only receive one travel award per academic year.
- Students must have at least a 2.75 GPA to be considered.
- Funds are dispersed until depleted, beginning with the new fiscal year (July 1- June 1)
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis around the 15th of each month, with notification of results by the end of that month
- All funds must be awarded by June 1 of each year—if your experience takes place over the summer, please be sure to apply early
*Please note that if you are seeking funds on behalf of a Student Association recognized organization, the Student Association can potentially assist with reimbursement through executive allocations. The application to apply for executive allocation funding is available through Huskie Link.
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.