Become a Member
(To become a member, click on the above link, print, fill out and return to the Credit Union with the other required information)
What makes the NIU Employees Federal Credit Union Better?
We are member owned and a not-for-profit financial institution. Any profit we receive is given back to our members in the form of better rates for our loans or a higher dividend rate.
Your funds are safe!
Your savings at the Credit Union are Federally insured up to $250,000.00 per member.
Who can join the NIU Employees Federal Credit Union?
- Any Northern Illinois University employee (includes student employees, graduate assistants, and temporary employees)
- Retirees of Northern Illinois University
- DeKalb Public Library employees
- Immediate family members of NIU Employees Federal Credit Union members. Immediate family member is defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild (includes step and adoptive relations but not marriage relations)
- Members of the same household of NIU Employees Federal Credit Union members. Household is defined as persons living in the same residence forming a single economic unit.
- Employees of NIU Employees Federal Credit Union
You've got a lifetime membership
Our motto here at the NIU Employees Federal Credit Union is "once a member, always a member". If you retire from the University or if you move away, you can still keep your account open as long as you have activity in your account at least once every five years.
How to join:
To verify your identity, we will need the following information when you come to join:
- University ID if employed at NIU (a copy of your signed contract is acceptable if you are a new employee)
- A deposit of $25.00 by cash or check
- Completed Membership Application
- Drivers License, Birth Certificate or Passport
To comply with the US Patriot Act, we must verify your identity BEFORE we can add you into our computer system as a member.
All potential members and joint owners must be verified by a NIU Credit Union staff member before joining. Thank you!