- Incident Reporting
- Speak Up Get Help Just Act (NIU Bystander Education) Information
- Student Code of Conduct
- About Us
- Student Mediation Services
- Contact Us
- Student Affairs Departments
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct
This page contains information for parents who have questions about the NIU Student Conduct System.
Important Things to Keep In Mind About the NIU Student Conduct Process:
- Just because your student was documented for involvement in a situation does not mean that he or she is automatically in trouble. It is standard procedure for university staff to document situations which occur on and off campus and involve students. A student conduct administrator will review the incident report and make an initial determination if a university policy or violation of the NIU Student Code of Conduct allegedly occurred.
- If your student receives a Notice of Allged Violation, it is important to remember that this is simply an allegation, it does not mean that your student is responsible for that violation. He or she will have an opportunity to explain their version of the incident in a one-on-one meeting with a student conduct administrator.
Accused students are permitted to have an advisor. This advisor may be anyone the Accused Student chooses. The advisor may, but does not have to be affiliated with NIU. The advisor should be someone who is knowledgeable about the Student Conduct Process at NIU. The advisor MAY NOT speak on behalf of the Accused Student. The advisor MAY ask questions of procedure. The Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct maintains a list of volunteer advisors who have been trained about the NIU Student Conduct System. Please contact the office at 815-753-1571 to obtain the name of an advisor. (Please note: the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct does not guarantee that an advisor will be available to assist a student at the requested time. Advisor service is voluntary.)
The Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct encourages parents to view our FAQ page.
Parents may review the NIU Student Code of Conduct which outlines the student conduct process in detail.
Parents may also contact the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety for additional questions regarding any interactions your student may have had with this agency.
Parents may contact the Office of the Ombudsperson for additional questions regarding the student conduct process.
Still have questions?
Parents may contact the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct (815-753-1571) with questions relating to the NIU Student Conduct System. Our staff will be glad to speak with you about the NIU Student Conduct Process in general, without your son or daughter's permission. Please note, due to Federal privacy laws (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974), in order for Community Standards & Student Conduct staff to discuss the particulars of a students' conduct matter with anyone other than the student, first our office must receive written permission from the student. You may download the form for your student to give permission here by clicking on this link.