Alpha Chi Sigma
Alpha Chi Sigma is a co‐ed professional chemistry fraternity which brings together men and women pursuing chemistry‐related careers. Established in 1902, there are now over 94 chapters nationally with over 70,000 members. We are the nation's only professional chemistry fraternity, founded for brotherhood and based in a love for chemistry. The purposes of Alpha Chi Sigma are reflected in the three Objects of the Fraternity, which express the ideals of all its members.
- To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship.
- To strive for the advancement of chemistry both as a science and as a profession.
- To aid its members by every honorable means in the attainment of their ambitions as chemists throughout their mortal lives.
Not only do we have a passion for chemistry, but also a passion for our community. One of the many goals of the NIU Colony of Zeta chapter is to help spread the knowledge of chemistry and other scientific fields as well as to provide services to our local community. We aim to show that our colony wants our community to succeed in obtaining a healthy and safe environment while providing knowledge of the scientific world.
Brothers of the colony are also encouraged to pursue a career in the science field by taking advantage of networking opportunities with professionals who have already built a successful career within the chemical sciences. These connections allow brothers to not only prepare for post‐degree careers in an industrial setting, but also in an academic setting.
Students satisfying the following criteria are encouraged to apply for membership:
- Be currently enrolled in, or have successfully completed, the second introductory course of one's intended course of study
- Study (major or minor in) a field within the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Maintain a cumulative NIU GPA of 2.50 or above
If you are interested in applying for membership or would simply like to learn more about our organization, please contact us via email at email@example.com and we will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible. To apply for membership, please either fill out the online form, or download, complete and return the Candidate Interest Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!