NIU Department of
Chemistry & Biochemistry
Where the study of matter...matters!
About the Department
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Northern Illinois University is one of only four departments at Illinois state universities that offer training in chemistry through the doctoral level. The Department of Chemistry was split off from the Department of Physical Science in 1959 (when only bachelor's and master's degrees were available), added a Ph.D. program in 1966, and officially changed its name to include biochemistry in 1998.
As of the fall 2015 semester, we have:
- 12 full-time faculty members, including one with a joint appointment in Biological Sciences, and five adjunct/visiting faculty members;
- More than 200 undergraduate majors;
- About 40 graduate students;
- 7 support and technical staff members
We are located in the shared complex of Faraday Hall and La Tourette Hall (formerly Faraday West) on the main NIU campus in DeKalb, Illinois.