- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, Washington State University (2016)
- M.S. in metals and materials engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (2007)
- B.S. in metals and materials engineering, Isfahan University of Technology (2005)
- Tissue engineering
- Design, synthesis and characterization of bioceramics and biopolymers
- 3D printing and bioplotting
- Drug delivery
- In vitro cell-biomaterial interaction
- In vivo tissue-biomaterial interaction
Awards and Honors
- MME Outstanding Researcher Award, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Washington State University (2016)
- Travel grant from the Graduate and Professional Student Association, Washington State University (2016 and 2014)
- First place in Graduate Student Poster Competition, Materials Science and Technology (2015)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture (2015)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (2014)
- Golden Key International Honour Society (2014)
- American Ceramic Society President's Council of Student Advisors delegate (2013)
Leadership and Service
- Reviewer, Materials Science and Engineering: C Materials for Biological Applications, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces
- Club advisor, NIU Society of Women Engineers (2016-present)
- Graduate officer, WSU Society of Women Engineers (2014-2016)
- Judge, Society of Women Engineers Region J Conference Poster Competition (2015)
- Society for Biomaterials
- Material Advantage
- Society of Women Engineers
Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics, S. Bose, S. Vahabzadeh, D. Ke, A. Bandyopadhyay, Additive Manufacturing (Taylor and Francis, 2015)
- Haley Cummings, Weiguo Han, Sahar Vahabzadeh, Sherine Elsawa, “Cobalt Doped Brushite Cement; Preparation, Characterization, and In Vitro Interaction with Osteosarcoma Cells”. JOM. DOI:10.1007/s11837-017-2376-9, 2017.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh and Susmita Bose, “Effects of iron on physical and mechanical properties, and osteoblast cell interaction in β-tricalcium phosphate”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10439-016-1724-1, 2016. .
- Amit Bandyopadhyay, Sahar Vahabzadeh, Anish Shivaram, and Susmita Bose, “3D printing of biomaterials and soft materials”, MRS Bulletin, 40(12), 1162-1169. 2015.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, Mangal Roy, Susmita Bose, “Effects of silicon on osteoclast cell mediated degradation, in vivo osteogenesis and vasculogenesis of brushite cement”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 8973-8982, 2015.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, Amit Bandyopadhyay, Susmita Bose, Rakesh Mandal and Samit Kumar Nandi, “IGF-loaded silicon and zinc doped brushite cement: physico-mechanical characterization and in vivo osteogenesis evaluation”, Integrative Biology, 7, 1561-1573, 2015.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, Vaughn Kohsei Hack, S. Bose, “Lithium doped β-tricalcium phosphate: effects on physical, mechanical and in vitro osteoblast cell-material interactions”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 2015, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.b.33485.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, “Phase stability and biological property evaluation of plasma sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings for orthopedic and dental applications”, Acta Biomaterialia, 17, 47-55, 2015.
- S. Bose, Sahar Vahabzadeh and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Bone tissue engineering using 3D printing”: Review Paper, Materials Today, 16(12), 496-504, 2013.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, J. Edgington, S. Bose, “Tricalcium phosphate and tricalcium phosphate/polycaprolactone particulate composite for controlled release of protein”, Materials Science and Engineering: C, 33 (7), 3576-3582, 2013.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, M. A. Golozar, F. Ashrafizadeh, “Effect of annealing on microstructure of CuO-doped (Zr0.8Sn0.2)TiO4”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509 (4), 1129-1132, 2011.
Conference Papers and Contributions
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, Amit Bandyopadhyay, Susmita Bose, Iron Doped Tricalcium Phosphates: Physical Properties and Osteoblast Cell Interaction, MS&T 2015, Oral Presentation, Columbus, OH.
- Susmita Bose, Solaiman Tarafder, Sahar Vahabzadeh, Samit Nandi, William Dernell , Amit Bandyopadhyay, 3D Printed Tricalcium Phosphate Scaffolds: SrO and SiO2 Doping for Enhanced Osteogenesis and Angiogenesis, MS&T 2015, Oral Presentation, Columbus, OH.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, Susmita Bose, Vitamin C Coated Tricalcium Phosphate: In Vitro Interaction with Osteoblast Cells, MS&T 2015, Poster Presentation, Columbus, OH.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, S. Bose, Vitamin C Release from Polycaprolactone Coated Tricalcium Phosphate and Its Interaction with Osteoblast Cells, Wiley Research Exposition, Washington State University, 2015.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, M. Roy, S. Bose, Effect of Silica Doping on Physical, Mechanical and In Vivo Osteogenic Properties of Brushite Cements, MS&T 2014, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, S. Tarafder, S. Bose, Osteoblast Differentiation in SrO and MgO Doped Tricalcium Phosphate; Gene Expression Study, Society of Biomaterials Science 2014, Denver, CO.
- Sahar Vahabzadeh, M. Roy, S. Bose, Effect of Silica Doping on Microstructural and Biological Properties of Brushite Cements, Society of Biomaterials Science 2013, Boston, MA, USA, Presented.
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL