Scott R. Short, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Engineering,
Universityof Dayton, 1990
- M.S. in Materials Engineering,
Universityof Dayton, 1986
- B.S. in Systems Engineering Wright State University, 1981
- Materials engineering/metallurgy
- Composite materials
- Applied mechanics
- Stress and strain analysis
- Failure analysis (including welds)
- Fatigue analysis
- Design using ANSYS/WORKBENCH finite element analysis
- Mechanical testing
- Structure-property relationships
- Correlation of the Fracture Behavior vs. Nondestructive Characterization for Si3N4 and SiC Advanced Ceramics, prepared for Caterpillar Corporation, Argonne National Laboratory, Department of Energy
- Overview of the Capabilities of STAR SYSTEM Structural Analysis Software at NIU, submitted to Argonne National Laboratory, Department of Energy
- Vibration Testing of Continuous-Fiber Ceramic Composites, submitted to Argonne National Laboratory, Department of Energy
- Thermal Wavefront Analysis for the Thermal Diffusivity of Continuous-Fiber Ceramic Composite Materials, submitted to Argonne National Laboratory, Department of Energy
Professional Associations and Honors
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois since 1995
- Awarded the 1995 D.R. Harting Award by the Society for Experimental Mechanics for the Best Technical Paper published in the peer-reviewed journal Experimental Techniques.
- Short, S.R., “3D Finite Element Analysis of the SCS Shear Test Specimen,” Proceedings of the 2006 SEM Annual Conference & Exposition on Experimental Mechanics, St. Louis, MO, June 4-7, 2006, CD.
- Seif, M., Short, S.R., “Determination of Residual Stress in Thin-Walled Composite Cylinders,” Experimental Techniques, 26 (2), March/April 2002, pp. 43-46.
- Short, S.R. “Transient and
Steady StateVibration Testing for Structural Anomalies,” Materials Evaluation, 57 (1), January 1999, pp. 65-68.
- Camping, J.D., Short, S.R., "Crack-Detection Device for Brittle-Matrix Composite Materials," Experimental Techniques, 19 (6), November/December 1995, pp. 15-18. (NOTE: This paper won the Society for Experimental Mechanics D.R. Harding Award for the best technical paper published in 1995.)
- Short, S.R., "Characterization of Interlaminar Shear Failures of Graphite-Epoxy Composite Materials", Composites, 25 (5), May 1995, pp. 431-449.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (1991-present; faculty member)
- Argonne National Laboratory (DOE) (fall 1999 Sabbatical Research faculty; summers of 1993, 1994, 1995 Summer Faculty Research Participation Fellow)
- Materials Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH; (1986-1990; research assistant)
- ARMCO, Inc. – Research & Technology Center, Middletown, OH (1979-1985; co-op student; research engineer)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL