Through practice interviews and coaching, our staff will help you develop skills to tell your story clearly and confidently. Most employers ask behavioral interview questions to learn how you'll meet the needs of the job.
How to Prepare for Behavioral Interview Questions
- Do your homework before your interview.
- Employer research is the single most important step in preparing for any interview.
- Be able to answer, What do you know about us? Know about the employer’s history, products or services, their mission, vision and core values.
- Analyze the job description to identify possible behavioral interview questions they may ask.
- Look for the key qualities, skills, characteristics and experience required for the position and develop examples to share from your experience.
- Be specific and give details about your actions and behaviors. Tell a story with a beginning, middle and end.
- Use the STAR approach to your interview answers.
- Situation – Identify the problem
- Task – Define the objective
- Action – Describe the steps you took to achieve your objective
- Results – Measure your effectiveness
Practice Interview Week
Improve your interviewing skills in a supportive and non-threatening environment. Practice Interview Week typically takes place within the beginning weeks of the fall and spring semesters. Interviews will be held with actual representatives from companies and organizations partnered with NIU Career Services.Register for Practice Interview Week
Email us at email@example.com or stop by our Career Resource Center, Campus Life Building (CLB), Room 235, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., for assistance with your resume, interview sign-up, interview preparation, job search assistance and/or Huskies Get Hired account.