Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Career Cluster
The Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) cluster comprises industries that focus on research, planning and managing, solving abstract problems, providing technical services, and designing products and systems.
How NIU Gets You There
NIU offers a variety of academic pathways, activities and access to organizations to help you get started on your journey toward a career inSTEM. In addition to the majors, NIU offers a wide-range of activities, research and volunteer opportunities. There are monthly informational STEMCafes, workshops and clubs available. STEM is a fast-moving field, so staying updated with your career advisor, reading professional resources and identifying a faculty mentor early-on in your academic career is important. First, choose a major, then get involved!
- Initiate structured academic experiences, self-learning, and volunteer experiences to acquire and hone skills by identifying a faculty mentor and getting involved with scientific/academic research. Team up with students to work on academic projects that demonstrate relevant competencies.
- Participate in the NIU STEMfest and STEM camps to teach students the practicality of science, technology, engineering and math in everyday life.
- Experiment with computer applications or technology related to your career, volunteer to collect data for a project or assist a community organization
- Engage in activities that improve problem-solving skills, technical writing, persistence, communication, analysis and observation.
- Expose yourself to your professional community by joining national professional organizations to get exposed to the latest innovations in technology and join campus organizations within your department and across colleges that involve STEM activities (e.g., Math Club, Robotics Club, Engineers Without Borders).
- Log in to Huskies Get Hired to search for internships and jobs!
Explore Your Skills
Skills needed for this cluster:
- Abilities: analytical thinking, computer knowledge, creativity, design process, information technology application knowledge, math, observation, operation of internet applications, operation of technology, research, speaking, technical, writing
- Social: active listening, communication, Leadership, teamwork,
- Personal: concentration, critical thinking, perseverance, problem solving, time management, troubleshooting
Get more information about occupations and skills related to career clusters.
Industries in this career cluster include:
- Computer/Information Systems
- Consumer Products
- Food Science
- Health Care
- Market Research
- Natural Resources
- Public Policy
Related NIU Majors
Learn more about STEM career paths, possible job titles, internships obtained by NIU students and employers who have hired NIU graduates.
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Engineering – Electrical, Industrial and Systems, Mechanical
- Environmental Studies
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Career Clusters
- Career Resources