Eligibility for Services
Career Services offers programs and resources that position new alumni for career success as they transition from student roles to professional opportunities. Find your current alumni category below to determine your eligibility for services.
If you graduated from NIU within the past three years (or completed a teacher licensure program), you have access to the same services as current NIU students, with the exception of participation in on-campus recruiting activities. Services include career counseling, use of Huskies Get Hired, resume reviews and participation in career fairs/events. If you do not live near DeKalb, contact us to discuss technology solutions to make our services more convenient.
If you graduated from NIU more than three years ago, you’re invited to apply for job opportunities through the Huskies Get Hired system and attend our career fairs. You’re also invited to use our web resources and receive email feedback about your resume.
Seeking additional career resources? We recommend:
- FOCUS 2 is a free self-guided career resource that will help you connect personal characteristics with career opportunities.
- What You Can Do With Your Major is a set of web pages that links NIU undergraduate majors to career options.
- O*NET Online is a free website sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor containing information on hundreds of occupations.
- NIU Alumni Association
- Contact the community college in your area to learn about career resources available to residents.
- Sample resumes/information about cover letters
- Information about interview skills
- For a brief resume review:
- New alumni (who have graduated less than three years ago) are invited to call Career Services at (815) 753-1641 to access resume review services.
- Alumni (who have graduated more than three years ago) are welcome to email a non-PDF resume to Stephanie Spencer. Stephanie will email you with suggestions for improvement.
NIU graduates have unlimited access to Huskies Get Hired, a job search database containing hundreds of postings. Through Huskies Get Hired, you can apply for jobs, store copies of your resume and job search documents in your own private account, and learn about the employers who will be attending NIU career fairs.