NIU Department Reservation Policies
- Any NIU Department may request use of Campus Recreation space.
- NIU Departments are charged rental fees for exclusive use of space. Additional charges may be incurred such as: facility supervision, janitorial, etc.
- NIU Departments may be required to provide additional insurance if the event or activity is deemed to be “high risk”.
- NIU Departments will be held responsible for all costs directly related to their rental.
- NIU Departments requesting space for related activities or space will be charged the discounted department rate.
- Setup/Takedown fees may apply for an activity that requires time beyond standard room setup or that may impact informal recreation times.
- Reservations require a university account number to charge through internal billing or through Accounts Receivable.
- Proof of an active university account is required before the reservation is finalized.
- All costs are estimated before the event occurs.
- Department/Group is responsible for all direct costs associated with the event including, but not limited to:
- Physical Plant work
- Damage (equipment and/or facilities)
- Additional supplies
- Detailed costs will be included in the final rental agreement.
- Renter Review – Please contact the Assistant Director for Facility Operations at 815-753-9353 with questions regarding cost agreements.
- All room/equipment set up requests may be requested during an event preparation meeting.
- Campus Recreation will attempt to accommodate room and equipment set up requests, if feasible.
- Groups may provide its own equipment with approval of Campus Recreation designated representative.
- Additional costs may be incurred due to damages (equipment, facility, etc) during contracted time.
- Additional costs may be incurred due to involvement of NIU physical plant tradesmen.
Campus Recreation staff will determine staffing needs which are based on an assessment of programming and facility needs. General guidelines to assist in planning are as follows:
- Events using space during normal operational hours may not require additional staff unless requested by the organization reserving the space or if deemed necessary by Campus Recreation.
- Events using space outside of normal operational hours will require a minimum of one CR Facility Supervisor and one building staff member.
- Depending on estimated event participants/spectators, Campus Recreation may schedule additional staff.
- Aquatic facility usage requires a minimum of two lifeguards.
- A cancellation can occur up to 48 hours prior to the reservation without additional penalty.
- A cancellation made after 48 hours to the event may be charged 25% of the estimated contract.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel any event subject to, but not limited to: incomplete paperwork, misrepresentation of event, failure to abide by NIU Recreation policies, and other university policies.