Faculty, Staff and Community
FitWell is a collaboration between the College of Education's Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KNPE) and Recreation and Wellness (RecWell) that allows you to work out in a variety of locations and includes many perks.
(Requires OneCard for access)
- Student Recreation Center
- Outdoor Recreation Sports Complex
- Chick Evans Field House
- New Hall Fitness Room
- Gilbert Hall Fitness Room
KNPE facilitis require membership card for access
- Gabel Fitness Center (GA 143)
- Anderson Fitness Center (AN 126)
- Anderson Pool (AN 113)
View KNPE facilities and hours schedule.
Group Fitness Classes
Anderson Hall and Gabel Hall FitWell programs and services are only for current FitWell members (faculty, staff, dependents age 18 and older, alumni, retirees and community members).
- A free locker (dependent on availability) in the Student Recreation Center, Anderson Hall or the Chick Evans Field House
- Free towel service - your towel card is also your access card to Anderson Hall and Gabel Hall
Free personal sessions with an expert. Just send an email to request:
- One personal training assessment - contact the RecWell coordinator of Fitness and Wellness at email@example.com
- physical fitness assessment - contact the KNPE FitWell coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- One nutrition assessment - Fille out the nutrition coach request form
- equipment orientation at the Student Recreation Center - contact RecWell coordinator of Fitness and Wellness at email@example.com
- Equipment orientation at Anderson or Gabel weight room -contact the KNPE FitWell coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Except for metered parking, permits are required to park on campus from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Parking is free after 5 p.m. and on weekends.
The parking lots in front of the Student Recreation Center and Chick Evans Field House require a blue or yellow parking permit.
FitWell members can get a discounted parking permit. Get the parking form at the Student Recreation Center service counter and submit it to Parking Services prior to purchasing a parking pass.
Metered parking spaces at the Student Recreation Center are designated by large white signs. Anyone can park in the metered parking spots. Fees for metered spots are $.25 per 15 minutes for up to two hours. The metered spaces are located to the left of the front doors of the Student Recreation Center.
Parking along Stadium Drive East is for blue, yellow and brown permit parking. Lot K, located south of Stadium Drive, is for yellow, brown and orange permit parking. See campus map.
All RecWell group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Our instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the Campus Recreation in-house Instructor Training Program.
Yes. Memberships are available for spouses, partners in a civil union, domestic partners and dependents of members.
No. Alumni memberships are available for graduates of NIU only.
- Online with a credit card
- In person at the Membership Services counter with cash, check or credit card
- Payroll deduction - come to the Membership Services counter for the payroll deduction form. After submitting, RecWell staff will process.
No. Faculty and staff taking classes on NIU campuses are not eligible for student privileges.
To qualify for a refund, submit a request in writing to email@example.com. Refunds are permitted for the following reasons:
- military service
- moving away from the region
Documentation verifying the reason must be provided. Membership refunds will be pro-rated. If the refund is approved by FitWell, your payment will be reimbursed using the same method of payment (i.e., check, credit card or payroll deduction).
If you used payroll deduction, once FitWell has confirmed your refund, complete the Stop/Start Payroll Deduction form. Notify Recreation and Wellness when you have completed and submitted the form.
If you are a faculty, staff or student member, use your NIU email to log in to registration. The password for the Outreach registration system is not linked to your email password. If this is your first time using the system, click "Click Here" next to "Forgot Your Password?" You will receive an email from Outreach which will guide you through the process of setting up a password.