Call for Nominations
September 8, 2017
TO: Deans, Chairs and Directors, Faculty
FROM: Chris McCord, Acting Executive Vice President and Provost
SUBJECT: Call for Nominations – Board of Trustees Professorships
I am pleased to announce the 2017-2018 call for nomination letters for the Board of Trustees Professorships.
The professorships were established in 2007 to recognize those tenured professors who have achieved a consistent record of excellence in teaching, scholarship or artistry, service and outreach, and academic leadership; have earned a national or international reputation for professional achievements; have earned a national or international reputation for professional achievements; and are deemed likely to make continued and substantial contributions in higher education.
All nominations must include the candidate's qualifications in accordance with the expectations indicated in the criteria below. Recipients must be tenured, hold the rank of professor, and have:
- Received national/international recognition for the impact of her/his scholarship or artistry within their professional community and be among those who have achieved the highest stature within her/his discipline.
- Demonstrated a record of exceptional commitment to students both inside and outside of the classroom, excellence in teaching, the use of the most effective instructional methods and technologies, the application of rigorous standards for students' attainment of learning outcomes, and, particularly, the engagement of students in her/his program of scholarship or artistry.
- Provided significant service to the university and leadership in setting high standards for educational programs and students' performance.
- Led the development and/or implementation of the educational, policy, and/or research/artistic agendas at the national or international level.
- Made significant contributions to advance the reputation and mission of the university and to improve the condition the community-at-large.
In considering the qualifications of nominees, special emphasis will be placed upon those who are renowned scholars or artists who have engaged students in their research and/or other professional activities.
Up to two professorships can be awarded each academic year; the 2017-2018 awards will be made at the Faculty Awards Recognition Ceremony in April 2018. The recipients will receive a stipend of $10,000 per year which will be renewed annually during the five-year term of appointment as Board of Trustee Professors. The responsibilities of the professorship include delivering the Board of Trustees Professorship Lecture; participating in workshops for the professional development of junior faculty and in activities that advance the university's reputation and mission; maintaining an active program of teaching, scholarship or artistry, and service; and submitting a report detailing activities and accomplishments during the award period.
Your assistance in submitting nominations for this distinguished award will be greatly appreciated. Letters of nomination will be accepted through Friday, October 6, 2017. Professors who have been nominated will be contacted for application materials. Application portfolios, including a complete letter of nomination addressing all criteria, should be sent electronically to Liz Wright (email@example.com), Office of the Provost, no later than Friday, November 10, 2017.
Additional information about the application process and the professorships can be found on the website.
If you have additional questions, please contact Liz Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 753-9400.