Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
May 13, 2010
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
Approx. 9:15 a.m.
Executive Session – Altgeld Hall
Approx. 11:00 a.m.
Reconvene Board of Trustees Meeting - Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 25, 2010 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS\
- ELECTION OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES OFFICERS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2011
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. Universities Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 69
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2011 Gasoline 10 Percent Ethanol Blend; Fiscal Year 2011 NIU Foundation Professional Services Contract; Fiscal Year 2011 ITS – Telecommunications Services Cellular Services Open Order; Fiscal Year 2011 ITS – Telecommunications Services Telephone Hardware Maintenance Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 NIU Naperville Catering Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 Radiation Oncology Physician Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 Office of Waste Management and Utilities Solid Waste Removal and Recycling at NIU DeKalb – Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2011 NIU/Fermilab Neutron Cancer Therapy Agreement Extension; Energy Infrastructure Improvements – Phase X Performance Contract Amendment; Materials Management Central Stores Commodities Amendment; Department of Biological Sciences Research Project Amendments; Recommendations for Faculty Promotions, Tenure, and Promotions with Tenure for the 2010‑2011 Academic Year; Requests for New Degree Programs; Request for Degree Authority at Regional Site; Request for a New Minor; Amendment to Board of Trustees Regulations – Freedom of Information Act (FOIA); Internal Audit Department Charter; Appointment of the Dean of the College of Education; Fiscal Year 2011 Tuition Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2011 Internal Operating Budget Interim Approval; Zeke Giorgi Law Clinic Lease Renewal; Center for Governmental Studies Medicaid Fraud Project Amendments; Information Technology Services Expansion of NIUNet; and Bond Resolution for Existing Residence Halls and Other Infrastructure Improvements. For review and information: Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; 96th General Assembly Report; Congressional Report; Public Act 96‑0889 Illinois Pension Code Amendments Applicable to State Universities Retirement System (SURS) Participants Employed as of January 1, 2011 and Thereafter; Procurement Reform Legislation Public Act 96‑0795 Effective July 1, 2010; Cole‑Stevens Complex Presentation; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 48
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Tenured Faculty Appeal Matter; Executive Session Minutes Review and Release; Resolution Honoring Student Trustee Matthew Venaas; Resolution Honoring President John Peters for Ten Years of Continuing Leadership; and Fiscal Year 2011 Board of Trustees Officer Election Results. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
- OTHER MATTERS
*The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board